Monday, March 17, 2008

"And I would have stayed up with you all night..."

Out of all of the many amazing Fray songs, i would have to say that "How to Save a Life" has to be my favorite. Isaac Slade wrote this about his experience as a camp counselor for troubled youth. His camper was addicted to crack and in each verse he discusses his experience and what he could have done. Attached are the lyrics:


Throughout this song, he is talking about how he has to step in and help someone in need. Without saying a name, I have also assumed that role before. A friend that I was really close with had developed many issues including mental, physical and many other things that ended up hurting her. Everytime I listen to this song, it reminds me of her everyday struggle and how I had become such a big part of her life. She no longer lives here so I do not face this everyday anymore, but the memories are still with me and always will be. Though she is not 100% still, I do feel as though my family and my friends were and still are a huge part in her life who helped her get through her everyday life. It is hard listening to this song because she was so close to me and still means so much but it is difficult knowing what she was going through but hopeful to know that I was able to help her along the way.

No comments: